Sustainability at The Co-operators considers environmental, social and economic betterment, ensuring that we are building resiliency in all three areas for the long term. With guiding principles embedded in all business decision-making, processes and actions – and overseen by our Board Sustainability and Citizenship Committee, and the Senior Management Sustainability Steering Committee – we consider sustainability at every turn, from our claims handling and product offerings to our people practices and community investment, as indicated in our Sustainability Policy.
Communities and businesses across the country are increasingly impacted by climate change. As risk experts, we have a critical role to play in helping Canadians address, mitigate and adapt to these impacts. Through our products and services, investments and advocacy, we’re committed to building sustainable, resilient communities – and to protecting the financial security and peace of mind of current and future generations.
In 2018 we released Our Climate Commitment, our pledge to prioritize actions that we will take to address the key challenge of our times. In 2021 we announced a further commitment to being net-zero in both our operations and our investments by 2040 and 2050 respectively.
Our strategy offers a definitive path for We are effective public advocates for issues that align with our business and we advocate for solutions for unmet needs and risks of Canadians and their communities.
Aligning with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
In 2015, the United Nations (UN) developed a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to mobilize governments, businesses and communities to develop cross-sector solutions to the complex and urgent environmental, social and economic challenges facing our world.
We have taken steps to actively align our long-term strategy and performance with issues and trends impacting the world around us. We have designed our 2030 Enterprise Long-term Goals in alignment with the SDGs, linking our strategic priorities with a collective global effort to protect the environmental, social and financial well-being of current and future generations.
Learn about more ways The Co-operators is building resiliency through our business:
- Carbon Footprint: Read about our commitment to help create a low-carbon future
- Impact Investing: Learn where our impact investments are focused to help address pressing environmental and social challenges
- Client Solutions: Learn about products and services that are available to help you when considering the environment and the economy
- Financial Advisor Programs: See how our Advisors are making a positive impact in communities across Canada
- Sustainable Purchasing: See how we are building a sustainable supply chain through our sustainable purchasing practices
- Supplementary Disclosures: Read through our supplementary disclosures to our Integrated Annual Report