Types of vehicles we insure

Whether your vehicle runs on wheels or skis, travels on water or the back roads, carries people or pulls farm implements, you need to have it insured before you can drive it. Here’s a list of the types of vehicles we insure at The Co-operators.

Cars, trucks and vans

This category includes any motor vehicle used for pleasure or business, or commuting to and from work, with a maximum gross vehicle weight of 4,500 kg or 10,000 lbs.

Vehicle brands we insure

A-Hu Hy-Min Mit-Z
Acura Hyundai Mitsubishi
Aston Martin Infiniti Nissan
Audi Jaguar Pontiac
Bentley Jeep Porsche
BMW Kia Rolls Royce
Buick Lamborghini Saab
Cadillac Land Rover Saturn
Chevrolet Lexus Scion
Chrysler Lincoln Smart
Dodge Lotus Subaru
Dodge/RAM Maserati Suzuki
Ferrari Maybach Tesla
Ford Mazda Toyota
GMC Mercedes-Benz Volkswagen
Honda Mercury Volvo
Hummer Mini Zenn

Commercial vehicles

Commercial vehicles are used to carry goods or materials for use, distribution or delivery. A commercial vehicle can be a car, van, pickup truck, trailer, heavy vehicle or tractor-trailer.

Farm vehicles

Farm vehicles are used for either farm work or pleasure by the landowner whose occupation is agriculture. They’re not driven to work or to school or used to haul other people’s property. Farm vehicles can include trailers used on the farm.

Antique vehicles

If you have an antique vehicle that you want to insure, it must be substantially the same as the manufacturer’s original specifications with the proper historic licence plate. It can’t be used for regular transportation, only rare trips.

ATVs or ATCs

All terrain vehicles are designed for transportation over land and/or water, and are not licensed for road use. All terrain cycles are designed for transportation over land but not on water. If the ATC is used on the road, it is rated as a motorcycle.


Mopeds are motor-assisted bicycles with operable pedals that weigh no more than 55 kg (120 lbs). They have no motor-driven clutch or gearbox and can’t travel faster than 50 km (30 mph) on level ground. Piston displacement may not exceed 50 ccs.

Motorcycles, dirt bikes and mini bikes

Bikes in this category are motorized with a seat or saddle for the driver. They’re designed to travel with a maximum of three wheels in contact with the ground.


These motorized vehicles are designed for recreational travel and accommodation. This category also includes trucks equipped with a non-detachable camper body, as well as converted buses and vans once completed that are not used for general transportation.

Snow vehicles

These motorized vehicles are designed exclusively for travel on snow and ice, and are rarely used on public roads.


Trailers can be a two- or four-wheeled vehicle with no power of their own, such as a travel or personal use utility trailer hauled by a private passenger vehicle.


A bus is a vehicle used to transport people on public streets or highways. This could include carrying students to school, groups of people on sightseeing trips, or employees to and from work.