What happens when I make a claim?
You deserve the highest standards of integrity and client service during the claims process. Here’s how we help you get things back to normal as quickly as possible.
After you start a claim by phone, with your Financial Advisor, or online, here’s what happens next:
Your claims representative or adjuster contacts you and gathers facts of the loss. The adjuster checks your insurance policy to make sure you’re covered for this claim.
We look at the damage to determine the value of the loss or damage, get repair estimates and speak to health care providers if you’ve been injured.
Claims representatives use appraisals and repair estimates to calculate the value of the loss or damage. They may also ask you for information from invoices, receipts, photos, owner’s manuals and warranties. In some cases, they ask you to list lost or damaged items on a proof of loss form.
We pay directly for repairs and other work or offer a settlement according to the terms of your policy. The amount paid out for a claim depends on the type of policy you have:
- Valued policies or Policies of Compensation set out the amount to be paid in certain circumstances.
- Under Actual Cash Value policies, you receive payment to replace a damaged or stolen item with one of the same age and condition.
- Replacement Cost policies reimburse you for your costs to repair or replace the damaged or destroyed item without factoring in depreciation.
We settle the claim by paying the amount outstanding, minus your deductible.
Most insurance policies are based on the principle of indemnity, which means you’ll be put back into the same financial position you were in before the loss. The amount you receive depends on the deductibles and limits specified in your policy.
You can choose to receive your claims payments in one of two ways:
- Cheque mailed to your home address
- Interac e-Transfer for claims payments up to $10,000
Need to make a claim?
Call, Click or Come in to start a claim today. Not sure if you should make a claim? Just ask. We're happy to answer your questions and help you decide. Your premiums won’t go up and you won’t be denied coverage in the future. It's all part of our Claims Guarantee.