Co-operators Community Funds
Through Co-operators Community Funds (formerly known as the Community Economic Development Funds), we support organizations whose programming and services empower marginalized youth (aged 16 – 34) and individuals with mental health challenges to progress along their path toward employability. Since the funds' inception in 1995, we have disbursed $8.2 million to 189 organizations.
To learn more about our unique Co-op Impact Program, specifically geared to small and medium-sized co-operatives registered in Canada click here.
In 2020, we granted a total of $540,800 to 24 organizations providing employment training and employment opportunities to marginalized youth and individuals with mental health challenges, helping them build capacity for self-reliance.
In addition to our grant-making role, we have expanded impact investments within our investment portfolio and have begun deploying invested assets toward smaller-scale community impact investments to generate further positive social and
In response to urgent, unmet needs in our communities created by the pandemic, we launched two initiatives through Co-operators Community Funds:
- Pathways to Employability (P2E) is a $2 million initiative dedicated to supporting the employability of Canadian youth who have lost jobs or educational opportunities due to COVID-19 shutdowns.
- The Co-op Impact Program reinforces our ongoing co-operative sector support by making $1 million in patient capital available to small- and medium-sized co-operatives as they adapt to a shifting economic landscape.
Organizations we supported in 2020
Learn about the organizations we funded in 2020 in our 2020 Annual Report.
Each year, we produce a video to showcase the types of impactful programming Co-operators Community Funds support. Check out our most recent video, which features LakeCity Works, a non-profit organization based in Dartmouth, NS, that enables individuals with mental health challenges to access a variety of on-site, work-related experiential opportunities, ultimately enhancing their employability.
2021 and 2022
- The application period for the spring 2021 funding round is now complete.
- Fall 2021 funding round: Applications are due September 1, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. (ET). Please note that this will be an invitation-only funding round.
- Spring 2022 funding round applications will be handed out starting October 15, 2021. Applications are due January 14, 2022 by 11:59 p.m. (ET).
Organizations interested in applying or requesting more information are invited to email us