Insurance Investments Group Claims About us

What’s covered by home insurance?

Your home insurance policy offers a lot more than you might expect. From basics like personal liability insurance to lesser-known coverage like identity theft insurance, seasonal home insurance and water damage insurance, you can protect your biggest investment with coverage that meets your needs.

Home insurance helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing your home, attached and detached structures, outdoor swimming pools and items kept on the premises, for damage caused by perils specified in your insurance policy. It can also covers liability for accidental damage to someone else’s property.

Types of home insurance coverage

The Co-operators Home insurance policies include home, tenant, condominium and seasonal home insurance. We offer plans that provide different levels of coverage on top of basics like financial loss due to perils such as theft, fire or vandalism, as well as personal liability up to $2 million – increased limits may be available – if someone is injured while visiting your home.

Here’s a side-by-side comparison of what’s covered by our two main plans.

Identity fraud recovery expense

Home, condominium and tenant, residential and seasonal policies include coverage for identity theft at no extra cost. This coverage provides a reimbursement up to $10,000 for expenses associated with someone stealing and using your personal information for fraudulent transactions.

Optional enhanced seasonal coverage

Your cottage or seasonal home shouldn’t come with unexpected hassles. Seasonal home coverage includes:

  • Replacement costs for both your home and contents. In the event of an insured loss, we’ll cover the cost to repair or replace without deduction for depreciation.

  • Inflation protection. We’ll automatically increase the limits of insurance to reflect an inflation increase.

  • Building ordinance. Additional coverage is provided for costs you incur following an insured loss, to comply with law regulating the zoning, demolition or repair.

  • Additional living expenses. Following an insured loss, if your seasonal home is unfit for occupancy, we’ll pay for you to stay somewhere else while repairs are being made.

More options for added protection

Need more out of your policy? You can choose from our many additional options such as:

  • Comprehensive water coverage*. Complete and flexible coverage designed to insure against many types of water damage to your home, including overland flooding from rivers, lakes and creeks.

  • Replacement cost endorsements. Available with some home policies, replacement cost endorsements insure your personal property at today’s prices, not the depreciated value.

  • Enviroguard® coverage. Allows you to replace damaged property with more eco-friendly and sustainable products.

*coverage options vary by province

Competitive rates and discounts

Tell your Financial Advisor if any of these apply to you and we’ll see if you qualify for a discount:

  • Your home has an alarm system, automatic fire sprinklers, and other safety devices

  • You’re a mortgage-free homeowner

  • You’re aged 55 or older

After-hours emergency service

Our service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you in the event of a claims-related emergency. Call 1-877-NU-CLAIM (1-877-682-5246) for assistance any time of day or night. In Quebec, call 1-877-594-2667.

We also offer a one-of-a-kind Claims Guarantee. You can contact us about damage to your home and we’ll answer your questions and provide relevant information to help you decide if you want to make a claim or not.