Insurance Group Claims About us

Important things to know about your coverage

Keep the following information in mind if you want to make changes to your insurance, leave your job or travel outside of Canada.

Termination of coverage or change in insurer

If your plan sponsor terminates coverage or changes insurers, the time to submit a claim to The Co-operators will change. Contact your plan administrator in these situations.

Naming or changing your beneficiary

Your beneficiary receives any benefits payable under Group Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment if you die. To name a beneficiary or change the name of your beneficiary, use the Plan Member Change Form. Contact your employer or plan sponsor for further information.

Coverage for adult dependents

Most plans cover adult children up to age 25 if they are attending school on a full-time basis. To ensure uninterrupted coverage for adult children who are students, log on to Benefits Now® Plan Member and complete a Student Eligibility Form for children about to turn 21, prior to the start of the post-secondary education program for that school year and notify your plan sponsor. Please also notify your plan sponsor when this dependent is no longer a student.

Updating your dependents

If your family situation has changed, you’ll need to update the list of dependents covered on your plan. Contact your plan administrator within 31 days of the change.

If you leave your job

All Group Benefits terminate on your last day of work.

If your plan includes Group Life and Optional Life, you and your spouse may obtain an Individual Life insurance policy with The Co-operators without providing evidence of good health if you apply within 31 days. Contact your plan administrator for more information.

ContinYou® Individual Health and Dental coverage for previous plan members

ContinYou provides guaranteed Individual Health and Dental coverage to plan members who are no longer covered under a Co-operators Group Benefits plan.

Applicants must apply for coverage within 60 days of the termination of their group coverage and must be covered by their provincial health insurance plan. Coverage is also available for the plan member’s spouse and dependent children. Contact your Account Executive for more information.

Benefits for travel outside of Canada

Most extended health care plans cover emergency out-of-country expenses for plan members travelling outside Canada for vacation, business or education. Refer to Benefits Now® for Plan Members for coverage details and a helpful brochure/card.

Remember to take your Emergency Medical Travel Assistance ID card with you when you travel. It contains important phone numbers you may need. The emergency medical travel assistance contact numbers are:

Canada and the USA

Toll-free 1-888-440-2667

Other countries

1-416-340-1316 (collect call)

If you have a medical emergency while travelling

It is imperative you contact this service within 48 hours of any admission to a hospital. If you or someone on your behalf cannot contact the numbers above before you receive medical treatment, contact them as soon as possible to avoid reduced coverage.

Make a Claim

Online Services

Group Benefits forms

Related Links

Plan Member Login

Product and services

Group Benefits - Contact Us