For more information on liability insurance, including a complete list of occupations eligible for Errors & Omissions coverage, talk to your local agent.
General Third-Party Liability
With general liability coverage, your business is protected if you’re found legally liable for injuries or property damage caused by your product, or accidents on your premises, your operation or at your customer’s location.
General Third-Party Liability, included in our commercial policy packages, cover four types of claims:
- Bodily injury resulting in actual physical damage or loss
- Property damage or loss
- Personal injury including slander or libel
- Medical expenses
General liability insurance is an affordable way to protect your business in case you ever have to defend a claim against your business in court. With this coverage, you’ll receive funds up to your policy limits to cover damages assessed by the courts to compensate third parties, and cover legal defence fees and settlement charges.
You can choose from our available endorsements to tailor your coverage to your needs, including such coverage as:
- Liability from use of Non-Owned Automobiles
- Advertising Injury Liability
- Tenants Legal Liability
Umbrella liability coverage provides added liability protection above and beyond the limits of your current policy. It applies when you’ve reached the liability limit on your current policies, and protects you if your business is held responsible to another person for injury or property damage, whether it’s at home or abroad.
With umbrella liability coverage, you’ll receive:
- A broader definition of Bodily Injury
- Worldwide coverage
- Coverage for non-owned watercraft and aircraft
- Coverage for licensed automobiles with a Standard Excess Auto Policy
Directors & Officers Liability
The members of your board of directors are responsible for overseeing your business activities; they’re required to act in good faith and in the best interest of the organization. When something goes wrong and your organization faces a lawsuit, board members and other officers may be held personally responsible, to the point that their resignation or board indemnity may not be enough.
With Directors and Officers coverage, your board members are protected from exposure to lawsuits against your organization, whether it’s a family-owned business, charity group, religious or educational institution or community association. Your policy includes coverage for:
- Financial losses resulting from an error, omission or negligent act committed by you or someone on your policy
- Bodily injury and/or property damage if it is a direct result of a professional service
- Legal defence costs not covered by your other insurance policies
Directors & Officers may have an exposure to personal liability in addition to exposing the organization to corporate liability.
Errors & Omissions
Originally designed for professionals like lawyers, doctors and engineers, the need for Errors & Omissions (E&O) insurance has grown with the increasing number of new occupations and higher service standards. Also known as Professional Liability insurance, E&O is a necessity for anyone who sells professional services.
Any person, company or partnership providing professional services for a fee can be described as a professional, especially if their occupation requires:
- A period of technical and practical training
- A commitment to rigorous professional guidelines, principals and service standards
- Provincial or national regulation
Our coverage is designed for those with minor to moderate professional exposure, including travel, real estate or employment agencies, consultants, bookkeepers or other self-employed individuals. Errors & Omissions includes coverage for financial losses caused by:
- Breach of contract
- Defective designs
- Delay in delivery
- Inaccurate advice or information
- Typographical errors
- Incorrect appraisals