Prepare for travel emergencies

If you get sick or injured while travelling outside of Canada, government health insurance plans will only pay a fraction of your medical expenses. Travel insurance is an affordable way to make the situation manageable.

Some hospitals charge thousands of dollars a day, not including doctors' fees or diagnostic services. Without emergency health and medical insurance, you’re responsible for those expenses. Make sure you have the coverage you need before you leave home.

Keep in mind that travel insurance doesn't cover everything; there are certain conditions, exclusions and limitations. Talk to your Financial Advisor if you have questions and read over your insurance policy carefully before you travel.

How to prepare for and handle a travel emergency

Before you leave, it’s a good idea to have a plan.

  1. Program the contact information for the destination country’s Canadian embassy into your phone and bookmark the Government of Canada’s emergency assistance webpage. If there’s a political upheaval or a natural disaster in the country you’re visiting, contact the embassy to get instructions on what you should do.
  2. If you’re travelling alone and have a medical emergency, contact your travel insurance provider and inform them immediately.
  3. If you lose your passport or other crucial travel documents, contact the Canadian embassy. If your credit cards are lost or stolen, contact your bank immediately to deactivate your cards.

For more information on travel insurance, talk to your Financial Advisor.

Travel insurance does not cover everything. For complete terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please refer to the policy. Travel insurance is underwritten by CUMIS General Insurance Company, a member of the Co-operators group of companies and administered by Allianz Global Assistance, which is a registered business name of AZGA Service Canada Inc.