Plan ahead for recovery with critical illness insurance
Critical Assist® from The Co-operators gives you the comfort of knowing you will have financial stability if you are diagnosed with a covered life-altering illness. We take standard critical illness coverage further with our Early Assist benefit and the Best Doctors® program.
How critical illness insurance helps
Critical Assist® from The Co-operators will give you and your family a tax-free* financial cushion that will be there for you when you most need it. If you are diagnosed with a covered illness, you'll receive either a full lump sum payment or a partial payout of the coverage amount if your illness falls under our Early Assist program. It can help you:
- pay for mortgage and loan payments if you are unable to continue working
- pay for child care so that you can concentrate on recovery
- subsidize additional necessary health care not covered by provincial plans
- cover housekeeping costs or other day to day expenses
- keep up contributions to RRSPs and RESPs
*Tax rules and regulations may change at any time.
Critical Assist Head Start® for Children
Critical Assist® Head Start provides you with needed funds to support your child's recovery from one of 36 conditions, including autism, cancer and type 1 diabetes. Benefits are paid in a tax-free* lump sum and can range from $25,000 to $250,000 depending on the level of coverage you choose. Children are eligible for the plan at 30 days old until age 17 and the policy expires at the anniversary nearest age 75**. So, not only are you covering them when they are young, but also providing protection for years to come.
**There are some children’s conditions that are only covered to age 18. All adult conditions are covered until expiry. Consult with your advisor for details.
Critical Assist includes access to the Best Doctors program. Best Doctors gives you instant access to a global network of over 50,000 doctors who are at the top of their profession. They can provide confirmation of your diagnosis and narrow down your search for a specialist.
Talk to your local Co-operators advisor today to get a quote on critical illness insurance from The Co-operators.
What illnesses are covered?
The illnesses listed below are covered through full payouts and our Early Assist program. If you have questions, your Co-operators advisor can take you through what is covered so you can make an informed decision.
Full payout covered conditions
Once you've received payment for a full payout condition, your Critical Assist coverage ends.
- Aortic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Heart Attack
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Motor Neuron Diseases (diseases that impair voluntary muscle activity)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Occupational HIV Infection
- Aplastic Anemia (disorder where white blood cells attack bone marrow)
- Bacterial Meningitis
- Kidney Failure
- Parkinson's Disease
- Benign Brain Tumour
- Cancer (Life threatening)
- Loss of Independent Existence (unable to perform basic functions on one's own, such as getting on and off the toilet)
- Loss of Limbs
- Loss of Speech
- Major Organ Failure on Waiting List
- Major Organ Transplant
- Severe Burns
Early assist covered conditions
A partial benefit at a maximum of $25,000 is payable with any of the following conditions. The policy will continue to cover you after the partial payment is made. You are eligible for only one Early Assist payment. There is no reduction of the policy face amount if an Early Assist benefit is paid.
Specific cancers covered
- Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast (DCIS) requires confirmation by biopsy
- Stage 1A malignant melanoma (melanoma less than or equal to 1.0 mm in thickness)
- Stage A prostate cancer
There is no coverage for cancer or benign brain tumours during the first 90 days following issue or every reinstatement of the policy.