Eco-friendly school supplies
Many green school supplies are available from local large suppliers and many websites. Some green items may cost more but adding even a few sustainable items to your list can make a difference over time. Besides, it sends a strong message that you are acting responsibly.
Sustainable school supplies are beneficial for a variety of reasons, including that they:
- Use fewer chemicals and dyes in such items as dry erase and other markers
- Can be biodegradable so they don’t last forever in landfill sites when no longer usable
- Can be refillable, as with pens or mechanical pencils, or made from 50% or more post-consumer products or paper
- Use more sustainable ingredients in their production, such as petroleum-free crayons
Here are some sustainable items to add to your school supply list:
- Notebooks made from water and vegetable-based inks or bagasse, which is waste from sugarcane processing
- Water-based school glue
- Biodegradable report covers
- Exercise books made from 30% post-consumer waste and environmentally friendly ink
- Binders made of 100% recycled chipboard that can be personalized by decorating
- Reusable calendars that minimize environmental impact while enhancing organization
- Vibrantly coloured crayons made of soybean oil
- Metal or aluminim-glazed water bottles to avoid the chemicals in plastic bottles
- Biodegradable cornstarch pens (but don’t chew on the tops)
- Seventh Generation facial tissues made from 100% recycled paper and whitened without bleach
- A staple-free stapler
- Rulers made from recycled money that has been removed from circulation
- Backpacks made of natural fibre or synthetic material, such as polyester or nylon rather than polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or vinyl.
Funky lunchboxes for all ages are available made in The Philippines by members of a women’s co-operative. Called BaZura Bags, these stylish bags are insulated, lead-free and made from recycled juice boxes. Check out their many other items, too!
When buying school supplies, think about the longevity of what you are purchasing. One good recycled content notebook may last longer than several inexpensive ones. A sustainable water bottle is far healthier and more economical than purchasing water bottles. Taking time to think about and value our earth makes the choice simple.