Stay in touch with major winter weather events heading for your area by signing up for our weather e-Alerts. We’ll notify you by email if potentially damaging weather is predicted where you live. To help minimize damage, here are some things you can do before the season changes.
Prepare your car and home
Prepare your car for the cold and brush up on your driving skills:
- Upgrade to winter fluids and keep them topped up.
- See if your windshield wipers need replacement and make sure the nozzles are working.
- Get your car washed and waxed regularly, and consider getting winter mats to help reduce the impact of corrosive road salt.
- Invest in winter tires, and always keep tires properly inflated.
- Have your brakes inspected.
- Keep an emergency kit and shovel in your car.
- Remember the rules for driving safely on snow and ice.
- Clear out eavestroughs and drain water lines to prevent ice buildup, drainage and backflow damage.
- Replace weatherstripping and caulking around windows to stop drafts and heat loss.
- Have your heating systems inspected and serviced.
- Have your roof checked for holes where animals could enter your attic.